Building a new home is a symbol of achieving the American Dream, but the pitfalls of home building can turn that dream into a nightmare. Modular homes, which are engineered in a climate-controlled factory setting, offer consumers a more reliable alternative than on-site construction. Choosing a New Jersey modular home builder who provides additional services may streamline the process and lead to a less stressful experience. Here are five tips to help you select the right contractor:
- Do some research. Look for a builder who is licensed, insured, and bonded. Ask if he belongs to professional or trade organizations, and have him supply references from recent clients. A reputable New Jersey modular builder should have this information readily available, and should be prepared to supply it to prospective home buyers.
- Verify the information. Consumers should always research a builder’s credentials. Check state licenses and Better Business Bureau ratings, and ask to see insurance and bonding certificates. Call referring clients, and, if possible, visit one of the company’s New Jersey modular home sites.
- Request competitive bids. Take bids from at least three different modular home builders, making sure all bids are based on the same materials and services. A very low bid may indicate a mistake, inferior materials, or a lower standard of service.
- Consider a full-service company. If you had planned to manage the construction of your home, make sure you clearly understand the responsibilities that come with this process. Unless you have the knowledge and time necessary to acquire permits, hire contractors and keep the project flowing smoothly, you might be more satisfied working with a New Jersey modular builder who provides turnkey services. Choose a builder who will educate and inform you; one who will monitor lot acquisition, permitting and construction from start to finish.
- Get a written contract. A thorough, detailed contract is the best way to eliminate misunderstanding and dissatisfaction when building a home. Read it carefully before signing, and make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities as a New Jersey modular home buyer.
Being an informed consumer will minimize the pitfalls of home construction, and soon, with the help of the right contractor, you’ll be enjoying your own American Dream: a beautiful New Jersey modular home. To schedule a Miller Homes consultation or inquire about home styles, financing and construction services, contact our team of modular specialists today.